Friday 27 March 2009

Me time.

On Thursday night, I had the privilege to leave behind the dirty dishes, nappies, and the housework for a few hours and attend the Ballymena Seven Towers Male Voice Choir Concert. They normally host a local artiste, and this time, it was Sam Law, an A-level Ballymena Academy Student with masses of talent. He was a Young Musician of the Year finalist in 2008 and has been 'comissioned' twice to play for Mary McAleese.

I'd only ever heard Sam play when he was 11 or 12 at the local festival. I distinctly remember him playing Brahms Rhapsody Op.72 in G minor (his technique was perfect, but I felt it was played in a robotic style, with no expression whatsoever) as I'd also just learned it. This time was different, however. His playing was exquisite and almost effortless. I was never aware of the Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No.8 until last night; absolutely jaw-dropping! The best £8 I have spent in a long time!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/youngmusician/sites/competition/video/sam_perf.shtml

No comments: