Wednesday 16 September 2009

It's been a while...

Since I last posted, but just a quick update on what we are upto!

I am now homeschooling Bethan (10), Jacob (almost 8) and Cameron (almost 5). It's been a big decision, but not one I have regretted....I don't think....yet!! It has manufactured more of a life-style change than I thought it would, but really that is all it has been. Just a change. I do things at different times; I tend to do all my ironing and putting away of ironing and cleaning on one day, which allows me to get on with homeschooling during the week, wheras before I would have tiddled about doing bits and bobs throughout the week, and I actually think I like the change! Occasionally we take a day off, too! (This would be alien to people who send their kids to a school, and I previously thought it was sooo wrong to do so, but when the children have learned or completed as much work as they would have done during the week at school in 3 days, I really don't have any issues with a day off.)
I don't want to be known as Naomi, the homeschooling Mum! I am primarily a servant of Christ, a wife and a mother, and it just so happens that I home-educate my kids! Yes, I do appreciate the extra time I get to be with them, and hopefully this has yielded some teachable moments, but it has also revealed some areas where I must improve my attitudes if I am to influence them in Godliness, and the fear of the Lord. I am under absolutely no illusions that this new life-style will cause them to become converted; only the Holy Spirit can convict them of sin and their need of a Saviour, and it pains me when families who home-educate believe that their children will come to Christ because of their 24/7 influence.

I do appreciate it, though when people encourage me as I go about it. It is after all part of what I do as a Mother and when it encompasses the majority of each week, it can be difficult not to talk about it sometimes. I try not to make it a point of conversation with friends, but it CAN be a lonely task, especially when people think you are totally nuts (or even just a bit mad)! I can see why 'home-schoolers' group together and form friendships and allegiances via websites, and these are good things (sometimes), but must never replace our fellowship with other church members and believers.
On those lonely days, (which thankfully have been few, because I have been engrossed in what the children are doing) I have found my strength to be in Christ. Yes, there have been days where I've fallen to my knees in prayer and said "Lord, I can't do this" (generally when I am feeling under the weather), but He has always been my rock, my dearest ever-present friend and guide. It was, after all, His will we sought in teaching our kids ourselves, and he continues to sustain, and especially to guide! I am so grateful for this, as I definitely could not do it upon any strength of my own. I have tried that and failed!!

So at present, our days are looking something like this:-

9.00am - Family time. I read to them from the scriptures or from J.C Ryles stories for children

9.30am - Spellings from Prim-Ed Workbookds (these are absolutely fantastic and so cheap to buy!)

10.00 - Maths or English for Bethan and Jacob. I help them for a while then go and do phonics using Hooked on Phonics which I bagged for a very reasonable £6.99 with Cameron.

10.45 - Break time

11.00/ 11.15 - English or Maths for B and J. Cameron has some computer time on Starfall or does his reading with me during this time or else we do his written work too. (Using Rod and Staff pre-school series at present, which is plenty for him)

12.00 - Handwriting or reading for Bethan and Jacob. Educational games with Cameron. (Sequencing/sorting/matching/naming/time games)

12.30 - Lunch

1.30pm - FIAR or Science/History/Geography and Art. This is a literacy-based unit study, where I read them a book and then they all research it at varying levels, according to their capability. At present we are studying China, Rivers, Ducks, Classic Literature, events and people in 1933. What they learn, they produce in the form of a lapbook, which they are just loving, and I must admit I'm finding it really enjoyable too!

2.30 - We are generally finished and sometimess the kids participate in chores....but we are still working on that!!

3.30pm - Music time and making dinner time/clearing up time!

On Mondays and Tuesdays, I teach piano, so dinner has to be made first thing in the am, or we just eat something really simple for tea or which requires little preparation!

So, that's it in a nutshell at the moment. I've just been trying to let our days evolve for a while rather than laying down set time-rules, which has worked quite well.

All for now!

3 comments:

DeliveringGrace said...

I'm curious to know what you do with your younger child while the older ones are working. This is one of my biggest challenges-we try to read, colour, do puzzles and simple art work but it is a bit of a struggle to co-ordinate.

Bethan said...

HI Sarah Elisabeth -
It's not always that easy with no.4...sometimes she will start throwing all the crayons and pencils over the room (!), but generally she seems to sit up at the table and scribble to be like the others while they work.
Then she normally plays by herself with her pram and dolls (there is a circuit in our house so she just goes round and round) then I try to get her to sleep around 11am which allows me to help with the older kids individual work.

If it had been no.3 at her age, though it might have been a different story.

Generally when she's awake, the older two will do their spellings then I leave them to get on with some work. I am trying to establish a rule of no asking for help during this time, so I can help no.3, and if 1 and 2 are struggling they move on to the next question or leave what they are doing and colour or draw in a 'busy book' until she goes down for her sleep and no.3 is settled.

Hope this helps! I haven't been homeschooling for very long,and have a lot to learn! :-)

Alice said...

Hi. Sounds like you're really enjoying it and doing a great job. I have to admit that I'm really enjoying it too so far. It's so amazing and rewarding to be involved in what they're learning and see them coming on. I also do most of the intensive stuff whilst S is having his nap time. I intend to continue "nap time" even when he has dropped his day time sleep. It can just be quiet playing in his room. Like Naomi though, would have been much harder with number 1 who needed a lot more supervision. A xx